Inventory Unit Detail
2016 KTM 1290 SUPER ADVENTURE
This unit may qualify for 0.99% apr financing! Call us or stop by today!
The 1290 KTM Super Adventure is the clear benchmark in the travel enduro segment with a class-leading equipment specification that leaves other travel enduros playing catch-up. The Super Adventure's uncompromisingly powerful KTM engine is matched by safety and electronics packages that are streets ahead of the competition, which means that sports riding meshes seamlessly with a versatile travel enduro style, making the Super Adventure the perfect ride for any journey.
- Cockpit: State-of-the-art instrument cluster from automotive supplier VDO: central permanent LCD for displaying all riding conditions (plus speedo, cruise control and rev counter with adjustable gearshift light), another LCD on the left for displaying the adjustable features: Favourites page; MSC ride modes; WP Semi-active suspension mode; Heated grips and seats; Riding conditions page for additional info, e.g. outside/oil temperature, onboard voltage, various trips, average speed, average and current fuel consumption, range, distance to next service
- Mode switch: Different modes for the various assistance systems can be selected using a mode switch on the left side of the handlebar. It's very simple and intuitive: "up" and "down" through the menu selection, select the desired menu item with the left button, confirm it with the right, job done!
- Chassis: With its ultra-lightweight yet extremely rugged tubular space frame, the high strength, die-cast, open-lattice swingarm and newly developed, semi-active suspension components from WP Suspension, the KTM 1290 Super Adventure’s chassis meets and exceeds every demand in terms of stability, delivering total control to the rider. Spoked wheels - tubeless, 19-inch up front; 17-inch at the rear - fat tires and tuned suspension travel further optimize its talents on the asphalt. Unrivalled braking from world market leader Brembo and assistance systems (MSC with MTC and lean-sensitive C-ABS), developed in close collaboration with Bosch, round off the package and raise the 1290 Adventure into a clear lead in terms of ride dynamics and safety. The very best components from world-class suppliers are brought together to create the 1290 Super Adventure's chassis. They combine the renowned KTM pure riding experience with the best possible feedback and maximum safety.
- WP Semi-active suspension: The innovative WP Semi-active Suspension system creates a new level of comfort and safety in motorcycle riding. A SCU (Suspension Control Unit) continuously adapts the damping rates in real-time to optimize the chassis according to the road surface and riding style. SCU uses special damping sensors: Stroke sensor front and rear; Accelerometer on the front and rear bodywork. The rider can select between four damping modes: Comfort: maximum comfort while preserving optimum feedback and dynamics; Street: best useful compromise for street use; Sport: sets each function of the system to achieve short times on the racetrack; Offroad: optimizes damping for offroad riding. The SCU detects specific riding situations and delivers the appropriate settings changes to deal with them. “Anti-Dive”, for example, keeps the bike horizontal when braking, a big comfort benefit for two-up riding as well as the safety benefit of keeping the headlight shining where it should. The system also recognizes the vehicle load, firming the suspension to match increased weight.
- Frame: The trellis frame is made from chrome-molybdenum stainless steel. The frame is the key to the Super Adventure's excellent chassis geometry, is extremely rugged and yet weighs only 9.8 kg, in line with the consistent lightweight construction that contributes to the low overall weight of just 229 kg (ready to ride, without fuel) and 249 kg fully fueled. Features:; The highest welding standards; Precisely manufactured tubes (laser-cut for perfect clearances, robot-welded, minimal welding stresses, etc.); High quality surface finish
- Swingarm: The die-cast, open-lattice swingarm is not only particularly light and stable, it's also precisely manufactured, its design optimized for stiffness while offering essential flex characteristics.
- Brakes: Precise application, powerful and fade-free: Abundant stopping power is assured on the 1290 Super Adventure with the very finest components from Brembo: such as twin 320 mm brake discs, radially mounted, four-piston fixed calipers and a radial master cylinder. At the rear, braking is taken care of by a generously dimensioned 268 mm disc. The system management is taken care of by Bosch’s 9ME C-ABS, together with MSC.
- Tubeless spoked wheels: Wire-spoked wheels for tubeless tires featuring airtight rim beds patented by KTM. The rims on the 1290 Super Adventure combine all the benefits of a tubeless tire (easy fitting and dynamic advantages due to no inner tube) with the stability and robustness of a wire-spoked wheel. This construction makes the Super Adventure's rims substantially more resilient than any of the competition’s cast or spoked wheels – an added bonus, especially in hard offroad riding. Hubs and rims are finished in a high quality dark satin titanium coating, the rims also bear the “1290 SUPER ADVENTURE” logo.
- Steering damper: With so much propulsion on tap the front wheel can become very light which, if unchecked, can quickly lead to unpleasant kick-back on uneven roads or following a slight stimulus at the handlebar. The Super Adventure prevents this safely with a reliable and sensitive WP steering damper.
- Massive torque: 160 hp is very impressive for a travel enduro, but 140 Nm torque is even more outstanding. At 2.500 rpm the engine is already pulling with 108 Nm of torque, way beyond the figure for any other travel enduro. Riding the giant wave of torque, cuts downshifting to a minimum; 140 Nm maximum, already delivering 108 Nm at 2.500 rpm
- Twin ignition: The twin plug ignition system controls the two differently sized spark plugs in each cylinder head independently of each other in such a way that more efficient combustion and a smoother, optimally controlled combustion sequence are achieved at all times. The result: even more and even better controlled power, lower fuel consumption, and lower emissions.
- Engine: Based on the most powerful travel enduro engine to date, the 1190, combined with 1,301cc displacement of "The Beast" 1290 Super Duke R, this engine clearly is the benchmark in all categories: a powerful punch for fully-loaded tours, torque right from the bottom end, reducing gear shifting, easily controllable for offroad use and 160 hp peak power for when the chips are down. In designing the engine KTM's engineers took the cylinders, pistons and con-rods from the 1290 Super Duke R and brought them together with a newly developed cylinder head and crankshaft to give the 1290 Super Adventure a power plant to match its mighty appearance: Massive torque; Extremely smooth throttle control; Strong, well-mannered power characteristics
- Smooth running: The primary wheel transfers power to the clutch basket without any backlash, which eliminates vibration and reduces engine noise. This substantially increases the running smoothness of the 1290 Super Adventure power train.
- Pistons: The forged piston design of the 1290 Super Adventure, borrowed from Formula 1 technology, results in a high loading capacity, despite the extremely short and lightweight format. Although they have grown in diameter by three millimeters compared with those of the 1190 Adventure, the pistons on the Super Adventure are a whole 47 grams lighter. This minimizes reciprocating weight and helps maximize the responsiveness and free-revving nature of the engine. Furthermore, the piston skirts have a state-of-the-art, grafal finish. Not only does this minimize friction, it is also particularly hard-wearing which makes a positive contribution to durability.
- Ride-by-wire: Smooth throttle response guaranteed, more than simply the absence of a throttle cable: The 1290 Adventure's ride-by-wire system ensures perfect application of the readily available and plentiful torque. It also electronically translates the throttle commands of the rider into throttle valve positions perfectly suited to the riding conditions. The DBW system is fully compliant with the strict DIN 26262 safety standard from the automobile sector.
- Crankshaft: The smooth shape of the crank webs results in low-loss running of the crank drive; the increased flywheel mass of the crankshaft and alternator rotor improve the ride quality. Together they optimize the load change behavior and running smoothness of the engine.
- Cruise control: Equipped with cruise control as standard, long motorway journeys become much more relaxed on this comfortable bike. Switches on the throttle grip and a display in the VDO cockpit unit, let the rider intuitively set and adjust the requested speed.
- DLC coating: DLC (Diamond-Like Carbon) is an extremely hard, durable and tribologically (i.e. in terms of sliding behavior) particularly well-suited coating, that KTM uses in many engine parts (cam followers, piston pins, etc.).
- Gearbox: The well-spaced gear ratios of the 1290 Super Adventure feature a longer sixth overdrive gear. This saves fuel and adds comfort for normal road cruising or fast mile-munching on the motorway.
- Long service intervals: A unique mix of the highest quality components combined with a fully developed and reliable engine allows extremely long service intervals of 15,000 km.
- Slipper clutch: Not only does the slipper clutch open when the engine back-torque becomes too high, it also assists when you open up the throttle. The former prevents destabilizing rear wheel chatter when braking sharply or decelerating; the latter reduces the hand force required for changing gear, allowing the clutch to be controlled with the little finger - saving you energy when riding.
- Cylinder heads: An absolutely key element in the outstanding performance and smooth response of the 1301 cc 75° V-twin are the unit’s state-of-the-art four-valve cylinder heads. These combine twin plug ignition, flow-optimized ports and a slick, low-friction valve train with cams from each cylinder’s twin overhead camshafts driving DLC-coated cam followers.
- MSC with C-ABS (combined ABS) and offroad mode: The ultimate in safe deceleration: One component of the comprehensive Bosch MSC assistance package is the world's first lean-sensitive cornering ABS. Based on the high-quality 9ME modulator, it unites the proficiency of combined braking with lightning-quick, efficient pressure modulation through the high quality Brembo hardware to make the most advanced braking system on the market – no one brakes more progressively or safely. Benefits and properties of MSC-ABS: Safest and most effective deceleration on the market - even at extreme lean angles; Extremely short braking distances; When the front brake lever is actuated, the rear brake is always applied purposefully in parallel in order to optimize ride stability under braking; The system provides an offroad mode and can be switched off altogether, if required; Complex computation algorithms contribute to the prevention of “endos”. Offroad mode: Offroad mode allows the rider to block the rear wheel as and when required - a prerequisite for committed offroad riding and deliberately executed slides. The ABS function remains active on the front wheel, even in offroad mode.
- MTC (Motorcycle traction control): As an integral part of the MSC package, MTC (Motorcycle Traction Control) regulates power delivery while also taking the angle of lean into account. It guarantees sporty yet completely controllable drive on all surfaces. Its intervention is indicated by a flashing LED in the VDO multi-function display. Depending on the engine mode selected by the rider, MTC permits differing levels of rear wheel slip. MTC offers four different ride modes (plus OFF), selected using the multi-functional switch on the left handlebar grip. Developed in close collaboration with Bosch, it reacts in a matter of milliseconds if the rear wheel begins to rotate too rapidly for the riding conditions. It also makes use of the quick intervention time of the ride-by-wire system to reduce drive to a safe level, subject to the angle of lean. Depending on the MTC mode, the EMS (Engine Management System) also governs the available amount of power – for example, "only" 100 instead of 160 hp in Rain mode. Four different MTC modes are activated by changing the engine modes: Sport: Something for the courageous to try: Allows a respectable and perceptible amount of slippage - drift-feeling all-inclusive!; Street: Smooth control for comfortable, unruffled riding with full engine power.; Rain: Early intervention and minimum slippage in the wet, with engine power reduced to a maximum of 100 hp.; Offroad: Up to 100 per cent slippage - i.e. double the wheel speed - for ambitious offroad use. Have a go at controlled offroad drifts, with engine power reduced to a maximum of 100 hp.; Off: Those who know better than the MTC can enjoy maximum propulsion at all times, exactly how they like it, without electronic assistance.
- MSR (Motor slip regulation): The optionally available MSR (Motor Slip Regulation) works in the opposite direction of the MTC. If, due to shifting down or abruptly shutting off the throttle, the torque generated by engine drag is too high, the RBW (Ride-by-Wire) system opens the throttle by exactly as much as is needed to prevent the rear wheel from locking and causing a potential skid. With the help of MSC, this system is also lean angle sensitive, giving an additional safety plus.
- HHC (Hill hold control): The optional HHC (Hill Hold Control) prevents the motorcycle from accidentally rolling backwards. It identifies if the 1290 Super Adventure is on a slope and at a standstill. After the rider has released the brake, the function automatically keeps the brakes applied until the bike is moving forward. The rider can then set off without rolling backward, ensuring a smooth start.
- TPMS (Tire pressure monitoring system): As its name implies, the TPMS monitors tire pressure (visible in the display) and warns the rider in the event of pressure loss, for example due to tire damage.
- Versatile and ergonomic: The KTM 1290 Super Adventure sets standards for the top level travel segment: 160 hp and weighing in at only 229 kg ready to ride (without fuel) results in a power-to-weight ratio previously unheard of in the class of super-equipped travel bikes and delivers unrivalled ride dynamics. At the same time, the powerful, yet well-mannered and economical engine enables both particularly relaxed and comfortable riding or, if required, extremely quick propulsion – with every conceivable level in between. The chassis combines lightness with outstanding geometry and fantastic suspension, which, together with every feasible electronic riding feature, allows undreamed of riding enjoyment in all conditions and at whatever speed you desire, from very relaxed to very, very fast.
- Super equipped: The new 1290 Super Enduro has very extensive standard equipment, with functions that the competition has yet to provide - even as optional extras: WP Semi-active Suspension; C-ABS (Lean angle sensitive with MSC); MTC (Motorcycle Traction Control); TPMS (Tire Pressure Monitoring System); Multi-function cockpit; Full set of modes (Ride-by-Wire, MTC, ABS, Damping); Cruise control; 30 litre long range fuel tank; LED cornering lights; Daytime running light; LED indicators; Adjustable ergonomics; Easy adjustable windshield height; Heated grips; Heated comfort seats; Ultra-rugged offroad spoked wheels; Immobilizer; Aluminum handlebar, black coated and tapered; Luggage rack and case carriers; Servo fan; Handguards; Steel crash bars; Side and centre stand
- Rideable anywhere: The 1290 Super Adventure is equally at home offering smooth pleasurable touring comfort or delivering uncompromising acceleration. This extremely broad span of rideability is made possible not least by the extensive ground-breaking electronics package. Particularly impressive too is that the Super Adventure’s different guises result in virtually no perceptible compromises. So while riding the bike in a relaxed way, your ride won’t be jarred by any of the sportiness at your disposal (no overly sharp responsiveness or a taut chassis set-up). And when you do want to turn up the wick, you won’t find yourself riding a rocking horse. The many riding modes seamlessly fit to wherever you might find yourself. Whether that’s a an alpine pass or coastal road, motorway or bone-shaking track, winding curves or simply the urban jungle, the 1290 Super Adventure is the ultimate travel enduro for adventures on all the world's roads.
- Ergonomics: Not only are the top-notch ergonomics of the 1290 Super Adventure suitable for all riding situations from comfortable outings - alone or two-up - to lively acceleration on asphalt and furious offroad shredding - whatever the surface or location; The ergonomics can also be adjusted in many ways to suit riders of any stature: Two handlebar clamping positions: horizontal +/- 10 mm; Two rider seat heights 860 mm + 15 mm; Two footrest positions: diagonal 10 mm high and back; Hand levers with 5 reach settings
- Heated comfort seats: Thanks to its state-of-the-art 3D foam padding and ergonomic contours, including depressions in key areas, it provides maximum comfort and the best possible connection with the bike. KTM uses a new foam compound that feels softer but offers much more consistency. So no matter if your ride was down to the shops or over the Alps, the rider and passenger reach their destination in complete comfort. The material looks and feels like leather, provides even more grip and is very durable. Both the rider's and the passenger´s comfort seats are heated, the passenger can control their own with a separate switch next to the grab handles. The height of the pilot’s section of the two-piece seat can be adjusted by 15 mm.
- Heated grips: The fully equipped 1290 Super Adventure comes fitted with heated grips.
- 30 liter long range fuel tank: The new 30 litre long range fuel tank, in combination with the low fuel consumption of the 1290 engine, provides up to more than 500 km of exciting riding without having to worry about a fuel station; an important benefit for adventures in more desolate regions. The fuel tank also protects the rider's lower body from wind and weather.
- LED cornering lights: The 1290 Super Adventure has the world´s first LED cornering lights integrated into its fuel tank. On the left and right side of the fuel tank, there are cornering lights consisting of three LED segments, linked to the lean angle sensor of the MSC system. Depending on the lean angle, the KTM cornering light can use one segment or all three, always giving the rider the perfect view of where they are about to turn.
- Easily adjustable windshield: The windshield and fairing, developed using CFD simulation, give the rider maximum protection from wind and weather. The windshield can be easily adjusted with only one hand, just by opening the clamp and turning the adjuster wheel. Variable positioning of the windshield bracket allows an even wider spread of possible positions.
- Design: 2-cylinder, 4-stroke, V 75 deg.
- Displacement: 1301 cm³
- Bore: 108 mm
- Stroke: 71 mm
- Power in KW: 118 kW
- Starter: Electric starter
- Lubrication: Forced oil lubrication with 3 oil pumps
- Transmission: 6-speed
- Primary drive: 40:76
- Secondary gear ratio: 17:42
- Cooling: Liquid cooled
- Clutch: PASC™ slipper clutch, hydraulically actuated
- EMS: Keihin EMS with RBW and cruise control, double ignition
- Frame design: Chromium-Molybdenum steel trellis frame, powder coated
- Front suspension: WP Semi-active suspension USD Ø 48 mm
- Rear suspension: WP Semi-active suspension monoshock
- Suspension travel (front): 200 mm
- Suspension travel (rear): 200 mm
- Front brake: 2 x Brembo four-piston radial fixed caliper, brake discs, floating
- Rear brake: Brembo twin-piston fixed caliper, brake disc
- Front brake disc diameter: 320 mm
- Rear brake disc diameter: 267 mm
- ABS: Bosch 9ME combined ABS (incl. cornering ABS and offroad mode, disengageable)
- Chain: X-Ring 5/8 x 5/16 in.
- Steering head angle: 64 deg.
- Wheelbase: 1560 ± 15 mm
- Ground clearance: 220 mm
- Seat height: 860 mm
- Tank capacity (approx.): 30 L
- Engine Type
- 2-cylinder, 4-stroke, V 75 deg.
- 1301 cm³
- Bore and Stroke
- 108 x 71 mm
- Keihin EMS with RBW and cruise control, double ignition
- Front Suspension
- WP Semi-active suspension USD Ø 48 mm
- Rear Suspension
- WP Semi-active suspension monoshock
- Front Brakes
- 2 x Brembo four-piston radial fixed caliper, brake discs, floating
- Rear Brakes
- Brembo twin-piston fixed caliper, brake disc
- 1560 ± 15 mm
- Seat Height
- 860 mm
- Fuel Capacity
- 30 L
- Final Drive
- X-Ring 5/8 x 5/16 in.